polygon info

From: Brent Wood <baw(at)frc(dot)niwa(dot)cri(dot)nz>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: polygon info
Date: 2002-02-25 02:02:37
Lists: pgsql-general

I have a table created with an attribute of polygon datatype.

7.2 seems to have overcome a tuple size limit in 7.1.x which is nice.

The doc's don't go into much detail about geometric operators & functions.

Can PG return the area of a polygon? The docs suggest it can (at least
for box data), but this suggests it can't.

>geotest=# select area(list)from test1;
>ERROR: Function 'area(polygon)' does not exist
> Unable to identify a function that satisfies the given argument
>types
> You may need to add explicit typecasts

Boxing the polygon to return the area won't quite do what I want :-)

Also, is there any further info available on indexing & performance
tweaking for geometric datatypes?

Thanks....

_-''-_ <Brent Wood> b(dot)wood(at)niwa(dot)cri(dot)nz Ph: +64(4)386-0300
'o \/ NIWA, Box 14901,
> ) /\ Kilbirnie, Wellington, New Zealand
`-===-' #include <std_disclaimer>