Re: [PORTS] Interface compile problems with 6.5.2 on DEC-Alpha

From: "Pedro J(dot) Lobo" <pjlobo(at)euitt(dot)upm(dot)es>
To: "Clouser, Robert" <bclouser(at)ll(dot)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: "'pgsql ports'" <pgsql-ports(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PORTS] Interface compile problems with 6.5.2 on DEC-Alpha
Date: 1999-11-04 12:21:03
Lists: pgsql-ports
On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Clouser, Robert wrote:

>I am puzzled:

First of all, I am sorry for aswering so late. I've been very very busy
these days, and until now I've been unable to do anything outside my
"real" work.

>   I got 6.5.2 to compile on my DEC-alpha, but I met with compile errors
>whenever I tried to compile it with any of the interfaces
>like tcl, perl and odbc (not to mention having to deactivate any C++
>compiling).

I've just compiled 6.5.3 (which is not yet announced, but it does exist
already) on my tiny old alpha (it is a DEC 2000 AXP 300). It has DU 4.0d
(without patches), DEC C V5.6-075, perl 5.004_04, tcl 7.6 / tk 4.2 (yes, I
know these two are old, but I don't really use them), GNU make 3.75, GNU
flex 2.5.4 and GNU bison 1.25.

This is the configure command that I have used:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql.beta --enable-locale
--with-pgport=5440 --with-CC=cc --without-CXX
--with-includes=/usr/local/include --with-libs=/usr/local/lib --with-tcl
--with-tclconfig=/usr/local/lib --with-x --with-perl --with-odbc

As you may see, all interfaces (except C++, which is known not to work on
alphas) are enabled. I had to apply the attached patch to get odbc to
compile. Please don't be very strict about the patch, it is just a quick
and dirty hack done in a minute to get odbc to compile.

Although I haven't done the regression tests, everything has compiled fine
(well, the odbc part gave a lot of warnings related to char/unsigned char
pointers, but they doesn't seem dangerous).

>The errors I get are things like "invalid declarations" .. things I
>would not expect to compile on any computer. Has anyone else had
>problems compiling with these interfaces? Is there a compiler flag that
>will let these things pass?

Please be more specific about the tools you use and the errors you see,
and I'll try to help.

Regards,

	Pedro.

Pedro José Lobo Perea                   Tel:    +34 91 336 78 19
Centro de Cálculo                       Fax:    +34 91 331 92 29
E.U.I.T. Telecomunicación               e-mail: pjlobo(at)euitt(dot)upm(dot)es
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
Ctra. de Valencia, Km. 7                E-28031 Madrid - España / Spain