Re: [PORTS] Success on DEC-Alpha osf-4.0b

From: "Pedro J(dot) Lobo" <pjlobo(at)euitt(dot)upm(dot)es>
To: "Clouser, Robert" <bclouser(at)ll(dot)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: "'pgsql ports'" <pgsql-ports(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PORTS] Success on DEC-Alpha osf-4.0b
Date: 1999-10-29 19:00:55
Lists: pgsql-ports

On Fri, 29 Oct 1999, Clouser, Robert wrote:

>I successfully compiled 6.5.2 on our DEC Alpha running osf4.0b, using
>
>./configure --prefix=OURDIR --disable-locale --without-CXX
>
>It used the alpha_cc template. I did have to use the patch for the
>buff_init.c
>that fixed the missing __alpha defines.

Good. I think that the patch has already been applied to the 6.5 branch
and will be in 6.5.3.

>HOWEVER -- notice that I had to disable the C++ stuff!! I got all kinds of
>errors
>that LOOKED like wrong code, but it must be a compatability problem. These
>were in
>the src/interfaces/libpq++ directory, and in particular in the
>pgconnection.cc and
>pgconnection.h files. Line like
>
>#include <string> -> bombed,

I ran into this problem a long time ago. I simply disabled the c++ stuff,
as I don't use it.

>and
>
>extern "C" {
>#include "libpq-fe.h"
>} -->( this could be bombing in the libpq-fe.h file, i
>think).

As I see it, it is libpq-fe.h which should have:

#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C" {
#endif

in the proper places.

>Anyway, it seems like this is a compiler compatability problem, or it would
>not have compiled on other
>platforms. Any suggestions for my C++ compiler flags?

It seems that cxx uses .hxx as the suffix for include files, so the
#includes would have to be #ifdef'ed appropriately. Also, cxx doesn't
recognize .cc as a c++ suffix, so you'll have to use the flag "-x cxx" or
it will think that the sources are plain c (which is probably the cause
of the second error you pointed at).

>MORE IMPORTANTLY: am I missing anything essential by NOT compiling the C++
>stuff? I gather

Nothing at all.

>that this stuff is meant to let people interface to the db with c++?

Exactly.

Regards,

Pedro.

Pedro José Lobo Perea Tel: +34 91 336 78 19
Centro de Cálculo Fax: +34 91 331 92 29
E.U.I.T. Telecomunicación e-mail: pjlobo(at)euitt(dot)upm(dot)es
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
Ctra. de Valencia, Km. 7 E-28031 Madrid - España / Spain