More on 6.4 on DEC Alpha + Digital Unix 4.0d + DEC C compiler

From: "Pedro J(dot) Lobo" <pjlobo(at)euitt(dot)upm(dot)es>
Subject: More on 6.4 on DEC Alpha + Digital Unix 4.0d + DEC C compiler
Date: 1998-11-18 18:08:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi.

I've been doing some more tests with the above configuration, and have
noticed the following problems when running the regression tests:

1) THE REGRESSION TEST FOR FLOAT8 IS BROKEN!!!

Indeed, the "expected" output for the exp() operator ":" is brain damaged.
This is the query at line 197 of expected/float8.out:

QUERY: SELECT '' AS bad, : (f.f1) from FLOAT8_TBL f;

which operates on this table:

QUERY: SELECT '' AS five, FLOAT8_TBL.*;
five|f1
----+--------------------
|0
|1004.3
|-34.84
|1.2345678901234e+200
|1.2345678901234e-200
(5 rows)

As you can see, the query tries to compute exp(1004.3), which should be
out of range (the maximum computable is exp(709.78271289338402)), and
exp(1.2345678901234e+200), which also should be out of range (but only a
bit ;-). So, the query should fail with an out of range error, as does on
my system ("ERROR: exp() result is out of range"). However, the
"expected" output is:

bad| ?column?
---+--------------------
| 1
|7.39912306090513e-16
| 0
| 0
| 1
(5 rows)

which is clearly incorrect.

2) The tests for char, varchar, select_implicit, select_having and rules
fail when locale is enabled, and pass when locale is disabled. This is due
to character comparisons being case insensitive when locale is enabled. I
don't think this is the correct behaviour. I'd appreciate any hint on
where to look to investigate this further.

3) The int8 type is completely brain damaged on my system. The output from
any select that gets an int8 is '4831823328'. Pointers?

4) The int2 and int4 tests fail due to differences in error messages.
This is innocuous, but annoying. I've seen that some systems have
customized expected results. I am willing to build these customized
results for DU4, if some kind soul wants to instruct me on how to do it.

5) The geometry test fails because of rounding differences on the last
digit. I don't know if this is really a problem and/or how to fix it.

6) The inet test fails, but I haven't looked at it yet.

7) The abstime, tinterval and horology tests fail. It seems to be caused
by incorrect handling of the daylight savings. However, the output seems
to be "less incorrect" than on previous versions.

8) The plpgsql test fails, but I haven't looked at it yet.

Well, this is enough for now. Let me know what you thing about these
problems, and let's see how we can fix them.

Pedro José Lobo Perea Tel: +34 91 336 78 19
Centro de Cálculo Fax: +34 91 331 92 29
EUIT Telecomunicación - UPM e-mail: pjlobo(at)euitt(dot)upm(dot)es