Re: Unix Domain Sockets error (was Re: [HACKERS] Alpha initdb fixed!)

From: "Pedro J(dot) Lobo" <pjlobo(at)euitt(dot)upm(dot)es>
To: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: Unix Domain Sockets error (was Re: [HACKERS] Alpha initdb fixed!)
Date: 1998-03-18 16:33:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:

>> Got:
>> QUERY: SELECT '' AS bad, : (f.f1) from FLOAT8_TBL f;
>> ! ERROR: exp() result is out of range
>>
>> Can someone comment on this?
>
>I think you are getting a better result than the regression test machine
>gets. That's good.

Ok.

>> Some are differences of one second between the expected and the actual
>> results, some others are dates that appear displaced by 19 years (for
>> example, expecter year 1997 becomes 2016, expected 1957 becomes
>> 1976...). The diff output is very long on this.
>> The date/time stuff has never worked completely right. And, if the
>> problem lies in postgres, that's ok. Sooner or later it will be fixed.
>> But if, as it seems, the problem lies in the timezone databases, we
>> might be in big trouble. Perhaps we could make a test, so we can say
>> for sure "your timezone database is incorrect, go and ask your verdor
>> for a patch".
>
>No, you still have date/time trouble, and it looks as though the
>timezone stuff is not being set properly. By definition, it is a problem
>with your machine, since the code works on several other platforms, and
>no, it isn't likely to get fixed eventually unless you pursue it, since
>it does work on the ~20 other OS/processor combinations listed as
>supported platforms.

You have misinterpreted me. What I mean is that if the problem lies in
postgres, we can hunt it and fix it, but if the problem lies in the
timezone libraries then it is out of our hands. Of course, the problem
isn't going to vanish into nothingness by itself (although it would be
very nice, wouldn't it? :-)

>OK, what I meant by "timezone database" trouble would have been sort of
>obvious in that only dates from times before computers existed would
>have shown problems, and then usually 1 hour differences due to daylight
>savings time settings. That is not what you are seeing.
>
>The 19 year differences usually seem to come from mis-handling the
>HAVE_INT_TIMEZONE compile-time option. How is yours set? Try changing it
>in config.h and see if it helps.

I am going to be offline for 4 days, until next Monday. I will dig into
that problem then.

Pedro José Lobo Perea Tel: +34 1 336 78 19
Centro de Cálculo Fax: +34 1 331 92 29
EUIT Telecomunicación - UPM e-mail: pjlobo(at)euitt(dot)upm(dot)es