Re: Unix Domain Sockets error (was Re: [HACKERS] Alpha initdb fixed!)

From: Dwayne Bailey <dwayne(at)mika(dot)com>
To: "Pedro J(dot) Lobo" <pjlobo(at)euitt(dot)upm(dot)es>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unix Domain Sockets error (was Re: [HACKERS] Alpha initdb fixed!)
Date: 1998-03-17 12:29:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Pedro J. Lobo wrote:

> I've done more tests. The problem is that if you start the postmaster
> without the '-p' option and without assigning a value to the PGPORT
> environment variable, then all the ipc stuff is messed up. No shared
> memory regions are created, and the semaphores are created but never
> freed. When a port number is specified, the sempahores (and the shared
> memory regions) have a 'key' value that contains the port number. Without
> port number, there is no shared memory and the sempahores have 0 as the
> key value.
> I don't know if this behaviour is due to the use of a non-standard port
> (5440), but since it's been specified in configure (--with-pgport=5440) it
> should work. shouldn't it?

I got the same results that you did.  I was planning on
investigating this morning, but it looks like you beat me to it.
I ALSO built 6.3 with a non-standard port, so that I could keep
my current database live while I work on this.

I'll try your suggestion, but I'll also try rebuilding using the
standard port, to see if it makes any difference.

Re: your suggestion to use __alpha and not worry about the
makefile, I'm a little uncomfortable with that.  DEC's cc will
actually output different symbols, depending on the use of the
- -std flag.  I'd rather have something that we have explicit
control over, rather than relying on the compiler like this.  I'm
not violently opposed to useing __alpha or anything, it's just a
preference against it.

- --
Dwayne Bailey                   + WHAT is your name? Sir Galahad
MIKA Systems, Bingham Farms, MI + WHAT is your quest? I Seek the Holy Grail
dwayne(at)mika(dot)com                 + What is your favorite color?     +    Blue ... no, Yelloooooooooooooooooow
            finger dwayne(at)mika20(dot)mika(dot)com for PGP Public Key

Version: 2.6.2