Re: [HACKERS] now 6.4

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: Hackers <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] now 6.4
Date: 1998-06-30 00:06:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, Vadim Mikheev wrote:
>
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > >
> > > So we will just need to re-create indexes.  Sounds OK to me, but
> > > frankly, I am not sure what the objection to dump/reload is.
> >
> > It takes too long time to reload big tables...
>
> 	I have to agree here...the one application that *I* really use
> this for is an accounting server...any downtime is unacceptable, because
> the whole system revolves around the database backend.
>
> 	Take a look at Michael Richards application (a search engine)
> where it has several *million* rows, and that isn't just one table.
> Michael, how long would it take to dump and reload that?
>
> 	How many ppl *don't* upgrade because of how expensive it would be
> for them to do, considering that their applications "work now"?

I cringe when it comes time to upgrade and now with the main site getting
~1000 hits/day I can't have the downtime (this web site is really
seasonal).  Not only is there dump/reload to do, I also have to make sure
to recompile the cgi stuff when libpq changes.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com   flame-mail: /dev/null
       # include <std/disclaimers.h>                   TEAM-OS2
   Online Searchable Campground Listings    http://www.camping-usa.com
       "There is no outfit less entitled to lecture me about bloat
               than the federal government"  -- Tony Snow