Re: [HACKERS] custom types and optimization

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Brett McCormick <brett(at)work(dot)chicken(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org, PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] custom types and optimization
Date: 1998-05-31 22:51:07
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
On Sun, 31 May 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> 	Neil built up a 'registration page' that I'm curious as to how
> many ppl are actually using it...just checked, and:
>
> postgresql=> select count(name) from register;
> count
> -----
>  1361
> (1 row)
>
> 	Not bad...but I don't imagine that's a tenth of all the users, is
> it?

Let me know if Camping-USA isn't one of them.  I'm getting over 400 hits
per day and without PostgreSQL I'd be lucky to be getting 3 a month.
Mysql wouldn't even compile without spending three weeks upgrading every
single library that was current for FreeBSD at that time (2.0.5 or 2.1.0)
and I never did figure out how many of my kids I'd have to sell to comply
with whatever licensing msql had.

I program with Sybase for a living (among the many other things admins get
to do) and the only thing that I wish were in libpq that isn't in the
Sybase dblibraries is bind.  I find it convenient to bind a program
variable to a column and not have to screw with it during the retrieval
process.  BUT!!  at the same time, libpq has things that dblibrary doesn't
have.  psql absolutely blows isql away.  I've had to write applications to
give me table definitions that psql is happy to provide.  Take note,
however, since it's a pain to upgrade Sybase every time it comes out and
we're stuck with the microsoft <gag> libraries that come with our license,
our upgrade path is slow and although we acquire the upgrade quickly, we
don't necessarily perform the upgrade with the same speed!

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com   flame-mail: /dev/null
       # include <std/disclaimers.h>                   TEAM-OS2
   Online Searchable Campground Listings    http://www.camping-usa.com
              "I'm just not a fan of promoting stupidity!
            We have elected officials for that job!" -- Rock