Re: [INTERFACES] Re: ODBC 16 bit support

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Re: ODBC 16 bit support
Date: 1998-04-19 17:42:20
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Sun, 19 Apr 1998, Hannu Krosing wrote:

> Of course it would be nice if it supported the other platforms whith
> ODBC capabilitries: alse Macs and UNIX.

There's no reason it can't. You write the driver using a common set of
functions from the std C or C++ libs. ANYTHING that is OS specific is
called using a generic name (eg. AllocateSomeMemory()) and have the
function in an OS specific file and it can call the correct function for
that OS. I've written a number of things this way and do my testing and
debugging of the main routines in OS/2. Quickly write a file to handle
the windows 16 and 32 and the unix stuff and compile on the machines it's
going to. Unless I add things that require additions to the OS specific
files, I may not need to touch them again and the main app is updated
easily.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com flame-mail: /dev/null
# include <std/disclaimers.h> TEAM-OS2
Online Searchable Campground Listings http://www.camping-usa.com
"I'm just not a fan of promoting stupidity!
We have elected officials for that job!" -- Rock