Re: Disk Utilization Increases And Time for Vacuum Increases.

From: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
To: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Disk Utilization Increases And Time for Vacuum Increases.
Date: 2003-08-28 02:12:18
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> I'm afraid that's the problem, though. The code cannot recover freed
> btree pages which can't be recycled for others to use. There is no
> choice but to reindex certain indexes.

While we're at it, anybody got a clue on how to reindex system tables?
Our unit testing framework (yes, we unit test all of our database code)
has to do a lot of schema loads and drops, and the indexes for the
system tables (particularly pg_attribute) tend to grow dramatically,
slowing performance. (The total size of the pg_catalog starts out around
a few megabytes, and doesn't take too long to grow to several hundred
megabytes.)

So far, the only way I've found to fix this is to do a complete dump
and reload of the database, but that's a pain since we have tables with
mutual constraints that can't be reloaded without modifying the dump
file.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net> +81 90 7737 2974 http://www.NetBSD.org
Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're all light. --XTC