Re: Updateable views...

From: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
To: Eric D Nielsen <nielsene(at)MIT(dot)EDU>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Updateable views...
Date: 2003-03-05 16:29:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Eric D Nielsen wrote:

> I see how that is what the spec says, but aren't the majority of joins that
> people use/want to update a join of some type?  I thought that SQL99 allowed
> updating view created by joins.
>
> In either case is this a place where "exceeding" the spec would be a good
> thing or a bad thing?

This is a case where exceeding the spec would be a very good thing.
And there has been lots of research on how to make more complex views
updatable; see Date's _Introduction to Database Systems, 7th Edition_
for an in-depth discussion of this.

That said, one step at a time is always good, and even having just the
very simplest views updatable would be a very nice thing.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.netbsd.org