Re: location of the configuration files

From: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: location of the configuration files
Date: 2003-02-13 14:18:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Christopher Browne wrote:

> 1. It assumes that there is "a location" for "the configuration files
> for /the single database instance./"

No; it assumes that there's a location for "the default instance." If
you have more than one, you could have one default and one elsewhere, or
just do what I often do, which is put in an empty config file except for
a comment saying "we have several instances of <xxx> on this machine; look
in <yyy> for them."

> 2. It assumes I have write access to /etc
>
> If I'm a Plain Old User, as opposed to root, I may only have
> read-only access to /etc.

Right. It's dependent on the sysadmin to create /etc/postgres/ and make
it writeable, or set up proper symlinks, or whatever.

Fortunately, the files in /etc are only the defaults, to be used if
they're not overridden on the command line. If you're in a situation
like #2, you're basically stuck where we are now all the time: you have
to just put it somewhere and hope that, if someone else needs to find
it, they can.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net> +81 90 7737 2974 http://www.netbsd.org
Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're all light. --XTC