Re: On file locking

From: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
To: "Shridhar Daithankar<shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>" <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: On file locking
Date: 2003-02-01 00:26:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Shridhar Daithankar<shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in> wrote:

> Besides file locking is implemented using setgid bit on most unices. And
> everybody is free to do what he/she thinks right with it.

I don't believe it's implemented with the setgid bit on most Unices. As
I recall, it's certainly not on Xenix, SCO Unix, any of the BSDs, Linux,
SunOS, Solaris, and Tru64 Unix.

(I'm talking about the flock system call, here.)

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net> +81 90 7737 2974 http://www.netbsd.org
Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're all light. --XTC