Re: SAP and MySQL to cooperate (?!)

From: "Ricardo Ryoiti S(dot) Junior" <suga(at)netbsd(dot)com(dot)br>
To: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
Cc: Ian Barwick <barwick(at)gmx(dot)net>, <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SAP and MySQL to cooperate (?!)
Date: 2003-05-24 07:53:53
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
	Hi,

On Sat, 24 May 2003, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

> Le Vendredi 23 Mai 2003 18:11, Ian Barwick a écrit :
> > Heise [*] is reporting that SAP and MySQL are forming a partnership
> > with the aim of creating a database server product based on
> > MySQL and SAP-DB. The report indicates MySQL will do the development
> > over a period of several years.
>
> Strange idea. MySQL and SAP-DB are completely different products in design.
> Maybe SAP-DB is dropping development of its database and wants MySQL team to
> take care of maintaining the database for current users.

	I think it's all about a marketting move. I don't imagine how SAP
DB and MySQL could be "merged", and developing a new system from scratch
doesn't seem to be plausible. I don't expect much from this at least in
short/mid-term (regarding software, not media hype). Anyway, in two or
three years we may se a new database that possibly will do what PostgreSQL
does now and have been doing for a long time.

	[]s
	Ricardo.