Re: Rules and Views

From: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Rules and Views
Date: 2002-07-31 05:15:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> Well, to my mind that's what the error message says now.  The reason
> it didn't help you was that you *did* have a rule ... but it didn't
> completely override the view insertion.

Right, like I said, my model was wrong. I didn't think of the error
message as being an "insert behaviour" that had to be overridden; I
thought of it as a "there is no behaviour right now" message.

Maybe it's just me not reading the docs all that well; I wouldn't worry
about this if it's not been a problem for others.

> > Also, some examples in the manual would be helpful.
>
> Aren't there several already?  But feel free to contribute more...

Yeah, but nothing showing these rules on a view across two tables.
I'll try to work it out and send it here for comments.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.netbsd.org