Re: WAL file location

From: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WAL file location
Date: 2002-07-30 11:10:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> It is supported by the installation environment, and does not require
> the explicit three steps of
>
> 1) creating a new directory area
> 2) moving files to the new area
> 3) creating a symlink to point to the new area

So basically it gives you the ability to initdb and have your log files
elsewhere without having to shutdown, move the log, link, and restart.
Is there anything else it adds?

BTW, you mention in another message that environment variables work
well for you. Well, they are a security problem waiting to happen,
IMHO. Do you have any objections to having a file containing a list
of the various data directories? Maybe we could put the log directory
in it, too, and have PGDATA point to that file, so we'd need only one
environment variable? (And then we'd have a more obviously accessable
list of where everything is, as well.)

I tend to side with you on not putting these paths in the database
itself; it can make restores rather hairy.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net> +81 90 7737 2974 http://www.netbsd.org
Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're all light. --XTC