Re: Buffer Management

From: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
To: "J(dot) R(dot) Nield" <jrnield(at)usol(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Buffer Management
Date: 2002-06-25 13:52:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

So, while we're at it, what's the current state of people's thinking
on using mmap rather than shared memory for data file buffers? I
see some pretty powerful advantages to this approach, and I'm not
(yet :-)) convinced that the disadvantages are as bad as people think.
I think I can address most of the concerns in doc/TODO.detail/mmap.

Is this worth pursuing a bit? (I.e., should I spend an hour or two
writing up the advantages and thoughts on how to get around the
problems?) Anybody got objections that aren't in doc/TODO.detail/mmap?

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net> +81 90 7737 2974 http://www.netbsd.org
Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're all light. --XTC