Re: Patch to add Heimdal kerberos support

From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden(at)netbsd(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch to add Heimdal kerberos support
Date: 2001-11-16 03:21:23
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Bill Studenmund writes:
>
> > There is another test we can do. There is a variable which contains the
> > Heimdal version number, '__heimdal_version'. If that symbol is present,
> > then we have Heimdal, and if it's not, we have MIT.
>
> We're not interested in whether it's Heimdal or MIT, we're only interested
> in whether that certain struct member is present and the set of libraries
> needed to get at the functions we want. The latter can be done with
> AC_SEARCH_LIBS, and if you look into krb5 first you might get all those
> other libraries for free depending on the platform. Checking for struct
> members can be done with a compilation test in the style of
> config/c-library.m4. (Basically, you just check if the code you want to
> use compiles. That's always a good start for a configure check, lacking
> other ideas.)

The problem I had with AC_SEARCH_LIBS was that if I don't add all of the
libraries (-lasn1 -lroken etc.) the test program won't compile, even
though the .o compiles fine. Can we make the test only depend on
generating a .o?

> I don't know if you want to sell this as a bug fix for 7.2. If you are
> then I can work out a "good" patch for this in the next two days for you
> to test.

I'd like to make it a bug fix for 7.2 if we can, so I'd appreciate the
help. I can test any new versions of the patch. :-)

Oh, I'll be out of town from Nov 19 through the 24th, and I have
intermittent weekend EMail, so please understand if I am less than
responsive in those time windows. :-)

Take care,

Bill