Re: [HACKERS] CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW/TRIGGER

From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden(at)netbsd(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>, <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW/TRIGGER
Date: 2001-10-22 18:45:04
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Dear all,
> >
> > Would it be possible to implement CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW / TRIGGER in
> > PostgreSQL 7.2?

Probably not, it's rather late in the cycle (isn't beta imminent?). Oh,
I'd vote for "OR REPLACE" as there's already an opt_or_replace
non-terminal in the parser. Adding an optional "OR DROP" might displease
yacc, and also follows in the same vein as what we have for CREATE
FUNCTION.

> > Alternatively, could someone implement CREATE OR DROP VIEW / TRIGGER? These
> > features are needed for pgAdmin II (we could also provide a patch for
> > PhpPgAdmin). If this cannot be implemented in PostgreSQL, we will go for
> > pseudo-modification solutions (which is definitely not a good solution).
>
> Our current CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION perserves the OID of the
> function. Is there similar functionality you need where a simple
> DROP (ignore the error), CREATE will not work?

If possible, it's nice to not have commands whose error codes you ignore.
That way if you see an error, you know you need to do something about it.

Take care,

Bill