Re: Detecting readline in configure

From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden(at)zembu(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Detecting readline in configure
Date: 2001-05-23 06:58:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 21 May 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Tom Lane writes:
>
> > 	checking for libreadline ... no
> > 	checking for libedit ... no
> > 	*
> > 	* NOTICE: I couldn't find libreadline nor libedit.  You will
> > 	* not have history support in psql.
> > 	*
>
> This may be useful as well, but it doesn't help those doing unattended
> builds, such as RPMs and *BSD ports.  In that case you need to abort to
> notify the user that things didn't go the way the package maker had
> planned.

*BSD ports/packages shouldn't have much of a problem. They can encode
dependencies, both in the binary package and in the build-from-source
process. So if the package maker did things right, the packaging system
would have either squalked, or tried to install libreadline before running
configure.

Take care,

Bill