Re: Any user able to connect to a database can create tables/etc

From: Robert Watson <robert(at)fledge(dot)watson(dot)org>
To: Antoine Reid <antoiner(at)hansonpublications(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Any user able to connect to a database can create tables/etc
Date: 2000-08-25 20:40:25
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, Antoine Reid wrote:

> > connect (can connect to the database at all)
> > create (can create tables, views, et al)
> > delete (can delete tables, views, et al)
> ^^^^^^
> Shouldn't this one be called 'drop' privilege?

Yup, it should be. I got distracted while filling out the form and typed
in the wrong thing on returning.

> This is something I would also like to have. It is to be noted that
> another opensource project (that we all know about..) supports that...
> :->
>
> There might be a workaround that I am not aware of either... (and if so,
> I'd like to hear it!)

Sounds good to me.

I'd also like to see support for UNIX domain sockets credential passing
authentication for local database connections sometime, but I haven't had
a chance to hack on that at all. In the mean time, I've been forcing
local connections to use TCP/IP via PGHOST=localhost and using identd,
disabling the trust setting, but that's not really ideal.

Robert N M Watson

robert(at)fledge(dot)watson(dot)org http://www.watson.org/~robert/
PGP key fingerprint: AF B5 5F FF A6 4A 79 37 ED 5F 55 E9 58 04 6A B1