Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL - the Linux of Databases...

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Andrew Martin <martin(at)biochemistry(dot)ucl(dot)ac(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL - the Linux of Databases...
Date: 1998-03-03 13:24:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, Andrew Martin wrote:

> Marc wrote...
> > On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:
> >

> > > It's OK Marc, us linux'ists weren't offended _too_ much by that quote :))
> >
> > 	I'm such a trouble maker, but I find most Linux'ers such easy easy
> > prey *grin*  I have this University full of Linux'ers
> I wonder why there are SO MANY Linux'ers? :-)

	Actually, I don't...Linux had a much quicker start into the Free
market...the *BSD crowd had to content with the almost year(?) of legal
deliberations as to whether or not they were even allowed to distribute
and work on it :(  Linux had no such problems, since Linux had no
history...no roots :)

> Agreed... :-)  But BSD isn't Unix either - not officially. [Waits for
> Marc to disagree, again...]

	I believing the only "official" Unix is the one produced by the
company that this year has decided it wants to own the name, isn't it? :)

> Not to mention the fact that at least one release of Linux did go through
> full Posix certification and is thus allowed to be called Unix :-)

	Actually, my understanding is that its allowed to be called a
Posix-compliant Operating System... :)