Re: knngist plans

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Marios Vodas <mvodas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: knngist plans
Date: 2010-10-16 17:42:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Marios,

you're right. There are several reasons for poor documentation, but of course,
no excuse, we do need good docs any way ! It's very nice you're willing to
write one, since it's always better seen from outside of development.
I think it'd be better to use wiki, so other people can join.
Pictures would be nice, but I don't know if there is consensus about using
pictures in documentation.

Oleg

btw, we're thinking in the background about new indexing infrastructure -
Spatial GiST, but it's rather big project, so we need sponsors.

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010, Marios Vodas wrote:

> Oleg as I said I do believe some things could get better in docs.
> Here are 4 main drawbacks in my opinion:
> 1. The docs lack example(s). There are some references to gistproc.c etc but
> this is not part of the docs and if I am someone that has just started this
> is hard and confusing (I shouldn't have to read the full technical solution
> to another problem in order to solve mine).
> 2. The 7 methods are poorly explained, at least theoretically. For example
> when I started I couldn't understand where each function was used. I had to
> read papers to understand the logic.
> 3. Describe situations that gist can be used. I am aware of spatial indexing
> because I worked on it, but I have the impression that there are more (e.g.
> computational biology).
> 4. Why not add some images/figures? (1 image = 1000 words)
>
> GiST is a very important and useful part of postgresql but it's hard to get
> started with it. Moreover, I am sure it has capabilities, other than the
> profound, that are not known to many people (including me).
> Plus knngist will give gist a boost, and I suggest that it shouldn't be
> delayed any more.
>
> We have some documentation already, Teodor will post soon.
>
> I would really like to see what Teodor has done.
>
> I could also prepare a document with the additions I would like to see in
> docs. Shall I do it? Of course it might take a while to finish it.
>
> On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 2:37 PM, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 15 Oct 2010, Marios Vodas wrote:
>>
>> Recently I worked a lot with gist and read about knngist. I have spotted
>>> weaknesses in docs. So I would be happy to help if you tell me how.
>>>

>> We have some documentation already, Teodor will post soon. Marios, I'd
>> happy to help in writing docs. Do you have some plans ?
>>

>>> On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 5:57 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
>>> wrote:

>> Regards,
>> Oleg
>> Oleg Bartunov, Research Scientist, Head of AstroNet (www.astronet.ru),
>> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University, Russia
>> Internet: oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/<http://www.sai.msu.su/%7Emegera/>
>> phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83