Break in WAL numbering and Warm standby

From: Michael Lush <mjlush(at)ebi(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: pgsql <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Break in WAL numbering and Warm standby
Date: 2010-03-25 20:26:30
Lists: pgsql-novice

I'm my travels I came across a reference to a postgers crash causing a
break in the WAL file numbering and a comment to the effect 'why should
you worry about it' (Unfortunatly I can't find the original post).

As I understand it when in pg_standby it sits and waits for a specified
WAL file to turn up, so if there is a break in the sequence I guess it
would sit and wait for the next file indefinatly and silently(?) fall our
of sync with the production database.

Can this happen?

How paranoid should I be about it and how could I spot it in the logs?

--
Michael