Re: knngist patch support

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: tomas(at)tuxteam(dot)de, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, "Ragi Y(dot) Burhum" <rburhum(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: knngist patch support
Date: 2010-02-11 16:37:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010, Tom Lane wrote:
>> My own feeling about it is that I much preferred the original proposal
>> of a contrib module with little or no change to core code.  I don't want
>> to be changing core code for this at this late hour.  If it were only
>> touching GIST I'd be willing to rely on your and Teodor's expertise in
>> that module, but it's not.  It whacks around the planner, it makes
>> questionable changes in the operator class structure, and the last

We splitted patch to make review easy, probably by several reviewers,
since we touched several subsystems.

Patch for planner is 5600 bytes long, not so big.

> aha, we originally submit contrib module, which didn't touch anything you
> mentioned, we improve stuff to follow discussion and now we are out of luck
> %(
>> version I saw hadn't any documentation whatever.  It's not committable
>> on documentation grounds alone, even if everybody was satisfied about
>> the code.
> well, there is enough documentation to review patch. In my understanding this
> was always enough to submit code. User's documentation is depend on
> discussion and review and can be added later
> before releasing beta.
>> How do you feel about going back to the original contrib module for now
>> and resubmitting the builtin version for 9.1?
> Hmm, one good thing is that rbtree seems ok for submisson. We need to discuss
> this, if it's good for PostGIS community. I'd not complain about this
> decision
> if it touch my interests only, I could live with closed-source patch.

Contrib module is a big step backward and will produce compatibility problem,
since we'll have to use awkward operation ><, which works different
with/without index. Also, it'd be very difficult to add support to other
contrib modules (btree_gist, pg_trgm).

Heikki complaint -
Simon -

Oleg Bartunov, Research Scientist, Head of AstroNet (,
Internet: oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su,
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83