Re: Full text index not being used

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Alex <alex(at)liivid(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Full text index not being used
Date: 2009-02-01 17:49:06
Lists: pgsql-general

Alex,

what text you're indexing ? I don't believe you have meaningful
very long words ( > 2047 characters).

Do you really need multicolumn index ?

I'd recommend to separate problem - create column fts for
tsvector('english',full_listing), create index on it and try full-text
query. The way you're doing imply calling to_tsvector every time you
search, which can be very costly.

Olegk

On Sun, 1 Feb 2009, Alex wrote:

> So this seems to be because the result size is too big. I still don't
> know why it is looping through every record and printing a warning,
> but adding a LIMIT makes the queries complete in a reasonable time
> (although not all that fast).
>
> However I need to sort and also have many other facets that may or may
> not be included in the query. Adding a sort makes it load every
> record again and take forever.
>
> I tried to create an index including all of the fields I query on to
> see if that would work, but I get an error the the index row is too
> large:
>
> => create index master_index on source_listings(geo_lat, geo_lon,
> price, bedrooms, region, city, listing_type, to_tsvector('english',
> full_listing), post_time);
> NOTICE: word is too long to be indexed
> DETAIL: Words longer than 2047 characters are ignored.
> NOTICE: word is too long to be indexed
> DETAIL: Words longer than 2047 characters are ignored.
> NOTICE: word is too long to be indexed
> DETAIL: Words longer than 2047 characters are ignored.
> NOTICE: word is too long to be indexed
> DETAIL: Words longer than 2047 characters are ignored.
> ERROR: index row requires 13356 bytes, maximum size is 8191
>
> Any ideas about how to resolve this?

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83