Re: Hardware vs Software RAID

From: Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>
To: Pgsql performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hardware vs Software RAID
Date: 2008-06-27 11:00:25
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> In addition there are many different types of flash (MLC/SLC) and the
> flash cells themselves can be organized in particular ways involving
> various trade-offs.

Yeah, I wouldn't go for MLC, given it has a tenth the lifespan of SLC.

> The main issue is lousy random write performance that basically makes
> them useless for any kind of OLTP operation.

For the mentioned device, they claim a sequential read speed of 100MB/s,
sequential write speed of 80MB/s, random read speed of 80MB/s and random
write speed of 30MB/s. This is *much* better than figures quoted for many
other devices, but of course unless they publish the block size they used
for the random speed tests, the figures are completely useless.

Matthew

--
sed -e '/^[when][coders]/!d;/^...[discover].$/d;/^..[real].[code]$/!d
' <`locate dict/words`