Re: Hardware vs Software RAID

From: Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>
To: Vivek Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
Cc: Pgsql performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hardware vs Software RAID
Date: 2008-06-26 16:14:06
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Thu, 26 Jun 2008, Vivek Khera wrote:
>> Anyone have experience with IDE, SATA, or SAS-connected flash devices like
>> the Samsung MCBQE32G5MPP-0VA? I mean, it seems lovely - 32GB, at a transfer
>> rate of 100MB/s, and doesn't degrade much in performance when writing small
>> random blocks. But what's it actually like, and is it reliable?
>
> None of these manufacturers rates these drives for massive amounts of writes.
> They're sold as suitable for laptop/desktop use, which normally is not a
> heavy wear and tear operation like a DB.  Once they claim suitability for
> this purpose, be sure that I and a lot of others will dive into it to see how
> well it really works.  Until then, it will just be an expensive brick-making
> experiment, I'm sure.

It claims a MTBF of 2,000,000 hours, but no further reliability
information seems forthcoming. I thought the idea that flash couldn't cope
with many writes was no longer true these days?

Matthew

--
I work for an investment bank. I have dealt with code written by stock
exchanges. I have seen how the computer systems that store your money are