Re: Hardware suggestions for high performance 8.3

From: Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hardware suggestions for high performance 8.3
Date: 2008-06-25 11:15:56
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, Henrik wrote:
> What are your suggestions. What we are currently looking at is.
>
> Dual Quad Core Intel
> 8 - 12 GB RAM

More RAM would be helpful. It's not that expensive, compared to the rest
of your system.

> 10 disks total.
>
> 4 x 146 GB SAS disk in RAID 1+0 for database
> 6 x 750 GB SATA disks in RAID 1+0 or RAID 5 for OS and transactions logs.
>
> Good RAID controller with lots of memory and BBU.

If you have a good RAID controller with BBU cache, then there's no point
splitting the discs into two sets. You're only creating an opportunity to
under-utilise the system. I'd get ten identical discs and put them in a
single array, probably RAID 10.

Also, do you really need 6*750GB for OS and transaction logs? How big can
they be?

However, the most important factor is that you get a good BBU cache.

Matthew

--
I don't want the truth. I want something I can tell parliament!
-- Rt. Hon. Jim Hacker MP