Re: Can't reinstall b/c don't know the very long installation password

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: "LaRue, Patricia" <Patricia(dot)LaRue(at)avocent(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can't reinstall b/c don't know the very long installation password
Date: 2008-05-16 16:38:27
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Fri, 16 May 2008, LaRue, Patricia wrote:

> I installed PostgreSQL and created the initial "very long" password and
> wrote it down.  Someone else did something to change it and now neither
> one of us can log into the DB.  So I tried to uninstall and reinstall
> but my "very long" password is not recognized and without it I cannot
> complete the installation.  I even tried removing all PostgreSQL stuff
> from the registry.  Does anyone know how I can blow away wherever that
> password is located and start fresh?

Easiest thing is to change your pg_hba.conf to trust for the host from which
you're connecting, reload postgresql, then use ALTER ROLE to set the password
back to something you know.  Finally, change you pg_hba.conf back to its
previous value then reload postgresql again.

Phone: 650-780-7908	FAX: 650-649-1954