Re: Schema design question

From: Ben <bench(at)silentmedia(dot)com>
To: Andrej Ricnik-Bay <andrej(dot)groups(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Schema design question
Date: 2008-03-31 17:55:32
Lists: pgsql-general
On Tue, 1 Apr 2008, Andrej Ricnik-Bay wrote:

> On 29/03/2008, Ben <bench(at)silentmedia(dot)com> wrote:
>> I'm working on a project which requires me to keep track of objects,
>>  each of which can have an arbitrary number of attributes. Although
>>  there will be many attributes that an object can have, the data types
>>  of those attributes won't be all that varried (int, float, text,
>>  boolean, date, etc.).
>
> And a somewhat unorthodox suggestion for the list ... would it
> be worthwhile considering a different storage mechanism all
> together, like maybe an LDAP directory type of thing?  The query
> language is admittedly very limited.

Hm.... worthwhile for some, perhaps, but not for this project. This is
only a small part of a much larger whole, most of which fits quite well
into SQL. Thanks though! I think I'm leaning towards the
one-table-with-many-columns approach, as it seems to require the simpliest
set of constraints while still giving me type-safety.