Re: Small DB Server Advice

From: Matthew <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>
To: PGSQL Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Small DB Server Advice
Date: 2008-02-13 14:35:27
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Wed, 13 Feb 2008, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Feb 2008, Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
>>>    4 x 147GB 15000 rpm SCSI in RAID 10 with 320-1 RAID CARD + 64MB cache
>>> BBU

> In my experience, battery backed cache is always worth the money. Even if
> you're mostly select, you will have some updates. And it'll also pick up
> other write activity onthe system...

Of course. My point was that 64MB should be quite sufficient if most
accesses are reads. We have a few machines here with 2GB BBU caches as we
do LOTS of writes - that sort of thing probably isn't necessary here.

Matthew

--
I suppose some of you have done a Continuous Maths course. Yes? Continuous
Maths? <menacing stares from audience> Whoah, it was like that, was it!