Re: Making the most of memory?

From: Matthew <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Making the most of memory?
Date: 2008-01-24 14:15:19
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008, Brian Hurt wrote:
> I think the original poster was talking about drives like these:
> http://www.texmemsys.com/
>
> Basically, they're not using Flash, they're just big ol' hunks of
> battery-backed RAM.  Not unlike a 10GB battery backed buffer for your raid,
> except there is no raid.

So, that web site seems to list products starting at about 32GB in a
separate rack-mounted box with redundant everything. I'd be more
interested in just putting the WAL on an SSD device, so 500MB or 1GB would
be quite sufficient. Can anyone point me towards such a device?

It'd preferably have a form-factor of a normal 3.5" hard drive, with a
normal SATA or SAS connection, a gigabyte of RAM, a battery, and a
gigabyte of flash. When the power cuts, the device would copy the RAM over
to the flash and then power down. The device would therefore get the write
performance of normal RAM, without wasting space, and could
(theoretically) be pretty cheap, and would improve the transaction speed
of Postgres significantly.

If someone doesn't already make one, they should!

Matthew