Re: Flyer nr. 1

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum" <ads(at)pgug(dot)de>, pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Flyer nr. 1
Date: 2008-01-20 14:09:31
Lists: pgeu-general
I don't see anything about GiST, which is an important part of
PostgreSQL's extendability

GiST - a Generalized Search Tree provides a possibility to create
custom data types with indexed access methods and extensible set of
queries for specific domain experts not a database one.

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008, Simon Riggs wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-01-19 at 03:30 +0100, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 06:14:00PM +0100, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
>>> I started creating new flyers, first in english:
>> ok, the flyer is now almost ready. Some proof-reading would be fine and
>> if someone has additional comments: just shout ;-)
> Very good work. We always need something to give out at trade shows.
> Few random ones:
> There is only one SQL Standard and it is called SQL:2003. It supercedes
> all previous versions, so quoting compliance with multiple versions has
> no meaning. (If you are compliant with SQL-92 but not SQL:2003 then you
> are no longer compliant with the SQL Standard). There are no RDBMS yet
> fully compliant with SQL:2003.
> PHP & PostgreSQL was co-authored by Robert Treat.
> Front page could probably just say a few quick bullets to catch the eye
> - Very scalable and highly concurrent database access
> - SQL:2003 compliant in all major aspects
> - Variety of replication solutions exist
> - Advanced SQL optimizer
> Those are the ones that most people throw at us.
> Any chance we could pick a different font? Not sure which one...

Oleg Bartunov, Research Scientist, Head of AstroNet (,
Internet: oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su,
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83