Re: What's the XID?

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What's the XID?
Date: 2007-12-28 02:51:16
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Thu, 27 Dec 2007, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Jeff Frost wrote:
>
>> That's a drag as I have quite a few clients who graph the xacts/sec with
>> MRTG. Most of these clients have read heavy workloads and it would be great
>> to be able to graph read vs write xacts, but a drag if you have no
>> visibility into the read xacts.
>
> You can still get the transaction commit counter from pgstats, right?
> In fact I would be surprised if you did something different.

Maybe I already am.  This is what we've been doing:

select sum(xact_commit) as transactions from pg_stat_database;

Is that still the same in 8.3 (i.e. it still puts lumps in reads + writes)?
If so, pretend I said nothing before because I must have misunderstood what
Tom was saying before. :-)

Phone: 650-780-7908	FAX: 650-649-1954