Updatable Views

From: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
To: pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Updatable Views
Date: 2007-11-27 19:00:53
Lists: pdxpug
   The Douglas^2 book has only a couple of pages on views, and my partner's
research taught him that postgres does not support updatable views. This
surprises me.

   Our application will need to support multiple locations. Some users need
to be restricted to viewing/adding/editing data for only a single location,
while other users are more interested in consolidated information. We were
thinking that each site could be presented to the user as a view with
restrictions appropriate for his/her access level. But, that does not seem
to be an option.

   Are there quick and easy ways to accomplish this with postgres?
Apparently, MySQL5 fully supports views as functional as base tables.

Rich

pdxpug by date

Next:From: Jeff DavisDate: 2007-11-27 19:55:21