Re: Frustrating issue with PGXS

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Eddie Stanley <eddiewould(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, mux(at)elvis(dot)mu(dot)org
Subject: Re: Frustrating issue with PGXS
Date: 2007-06-25 18:46:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Dear Tom,

>> That would break existing Makefiles that use the "please take the first
>> pg_config in the path" feature, which rather make sense (it just means
>> that you want the extension for your current postgresql).
>
> How would it break them?  The default definition is still PG_CONFIG =
> pg_config, this just moves where that definition appears.

I think that I was answering to:

Tom> I'm not sure though how to get this setting to
Tom> override the one in Makefile.global ...
Tom> or should we just remove that one?

With the assumption that the above "that one" refered to the "PG_CONFIG"
macro definition in "Makefile.global". As existing extension makefiles do
not defined PG_CONFIG, relying on one would break them wrt future
releases? That's why I suggested to replace the "Makefile.global"
definition by a conditional one.

But it is also entirely possible that I did not fully understand your
sentence:-)

--
Fabien.