Re: Day of PostgreSQL - July 22, Sunday before OSCON

From: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
To: Postgresql PDX_Users <pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Day of PostgreSQL - July 22, Sunday before OSCON
Date: 2007-06-22 18:50:56
Lists: pdxpug

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007, Selena Deckelmann wrote:

> And, Rich - are you talking about spatio-temporal (i.e. GIS-system)?

Selena,

No. I've built many spatial databases since 1987.

I'm talking about learning the status of variables (e.g., permits,
hospital patients, stock ownership, animals in feedlot pens) on a given
date, or within a range of dates. Also, queries such as determining what
permits expire in the current quarter, and what permit conditions were in
force when an exception occurred.

The spatial databases I've built using various GIS software have been a
lot simpler. The queries are usually asking what is where, or where is what,
not the status of a specified point over a time interval. Of course, we've
extracted measured values over a defined time range and plotted them, but
that's a horse of a different color.

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D. | The Environmental Permitting
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. | Accelerator(TM)