Re: Preferred Installation/Data Directories

From: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Preferred Installation/Data Directories
Date: 2007-04-27 14:50:18
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, Tom Lane wrote:

> No, it hasn't. The PG code itself doesn't make any assumptions about the
> location of $PGDATA AFAIR, but there are a large number of packagings that
> assume specific places like /var/lib/pgsql/. If you've changed platforms
> or changed between installing from source and installing a prebuilt
> package, you might notice some variability. In any case you're certainly
> welcome to put $PGDATA anywhere you want.

Thanks, Tom. That does clear up what I've seen over the years. The
executables go in /usr/bin/ (at least they do with Slackware), but $PGDATA
is what I've seen changed between building from source and installing
packages.

> [ Thinks for a bit ... ] Note that "packaging" might extend further than
> meets the eye. For instance, if you want to move $PGDATA on a recent Red
> Hat system, you need to tweak not only the initscript but the SELinux
> policy, which by default will constrain the postmaster to write only under
> /var/lib/pgsql/.

I see in postgresql.SlackBuild where the data directories are specified.
I'll change that from /var/lib/pgsql/data to /usr/local/pgsql/data and
rebuild the package.

Very much appreciated,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D. | The Environmental Permitting
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. | Accelerator(TM)