Re: Slow Postgresql server

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: Jason Lustig <lustig(at)brandeis(dot)edu>, Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
Cc: Guido Neitzer <lists(at)event-s(dot)net>, Ron <rjpeace(at)earthlink(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Slow Postgresql server
Date: 2007-04-12 17:03:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches pgsql-performance

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, Scott Marlowe wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 10:19, Guido Neitzer wrote:
>> On 12.04.2007, at 08:59, Ron wrote:
>

>> Depends. As I said - if the whole DB fits into the remaining space,
>> and a lot of website backend DBs do, it might just work out. But this
>> seems not to be the case - either the site is chewing on seq scans
>> all the time which will cause I/O or it is bound by the lack of
>> memory and swaps the whole time ... He has to find out.
>
> It could also be something as simple as a very bloated data store.
>
> I'd ask the user what vacuum verbose says at the end

You know, I should answer emails at night...we didn't ask when the last time
the data was vacuumed or analyzed and I believe he indicated that the only
non-default values were memory related, so no autovacuum running.

Jason,

Before you go any further, run 'vacuum analyze;' on your DB if you're not
doing this with regularity and strongly consider enabling autovacuum.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Frost Consulting, LLC http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/