Re: Post-Reboot Issue: Postmaster Not Accessible

From: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Post-Reboot Issue: Postmaster Not Accessible
Date: 2007-02-28 16:21:08
Lists: pgsql-general
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, Tom Lane wrote:

> The socket file should surely not be owned by root ... there's something
> pretty weird there.  How did you start the postmaster?

Tom,

   The startup script, /etc/rc.d/rc.postgresql is run when the system boots.
The result is,

16648 pts/1    S      0:00 /usr/bin/postmaster -D /var/lib/pgsql/data

   That startup script has been in place for about 14 months now, and through
a number of reboots as hardware's been replaced. I can send it if desired.

   The socket remains when the postmaster is killed; I assume that's normal.
I see that on my notebook, the socket is owned by postgres.users, and
there's a lockfile present. No lockfile on the server.

   I chown postgres.users /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432= but this still does not allow
me to log in either from the command line or with SQL-Ledger.

   Is there a method other than a reboot to remedy this?

Thanks,

Rich