Re: Upgrade/Installation problem: Version 7.4.9 to version

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: Ray Stell <stellr(at)cns(dot)vt(dot)edu>
Cc: Andrew Edson <cheighlund(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrade/Installation problem: Version 7.4.9 to version
Date: 2007-01-17 21:31:50
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Wed, 17 Jan 2007, Ray Stell wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 01:18:06PM -0800, Jeff Frost wrote:
>> On Wed, 17 Jan 2007, Ray Stell wrote:
>>> Why is there pg_dumpall instead of a pg_dump with some flag?
>>
>> pg_dumpall does all DBs plus the globals, but I'll have to let one of the
>> developers answer why there isn't just a flag for pg_dump.
>
> Thanks.
>
> If I've done a pg_dumpall does some of the sql that gets included
> fail in the restore because the objects already exist via the documented
> initdb?  That is how it works with oracle, you export, install a db, then
> import, but the import throws errors because of the installe objects already
> exist.

Yes, for instance the postgres db user is pretty much guaranteed to exist.
Usually when I do a restore, I do it like this:

zcat dumpall.gz | psql postgres > restore.txt 2> restore.err
or
pg_restore frostconsulting.dmp | psql frostconsulting > restore.txt 2> restore.err

and that way I can review the errors in restore.err to determine if it's
a real issue or not.

Phone: 650-780-7908	FAX: 650-649-1954