Re: [HACKERS] Replication documentation addition

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Replication documentation addition
Date: 2006-11-14 23:37:14
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>> My thinking on the definition of clustering was that there is some smarts for
>> graceful failover and automated or semi-automated ways of bringing failed DB
>> servers back up to date and online with the rest of the servers in the
>> cluster. All servers need to be able to accept writes, but do we
>
> No, even replication servers can have that.
>
>> differentiate on where the writes originated (i.e. middleware or another
>> postgresql server) or on functionality?
>
> Fundamentally, broadcast means the queries are being propogated outside
> the server, with the benefits and limitations inherent in that.

I'd definitely have to agree with you on that. I guess I'm trying to decide
what differentiates clustering for load balancing from query broadcast based
on your text. Maybe just don't use the word broadcast here:

"In clustering, each server can accept write requests, and these write
requests are broadcast from the original server to all other servers before
each transaction commits."

Unfortunately, I can't seem to come up with anything more clever.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Frost Consulting, LLC http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/