Re: [HACKERS] Replication documentation addition

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Replication documentation addition
Date: 2006-11-14 22:50:35
Lists: pgsql-docspgsql-hackers
On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>> In clustering, each server can accept write requests, and these write requests
>> are broadcast from the original server to all other servers before each
>> transaction commits.
>>
>> I guess it's kind of a fine line how it gets defined?
>
> Hmmm.  Interesting.  Does anyone else have details or an opinion on
> this?  The fact that there is something sitting above the servers seems
> to be the defining issue of calling it query broadcast.

My thinking on the definition of clustering was that there is some smarts for
graceful failover and automated or semi-automated ways of bringing failed DB
servers back up to date and online with the rest of the servers in the
cluster.  All servers need to be able to accept writes, but do we
differentiate on where the writes originated (i.e. middleware or another
postgresql server) or on functionality?

Phone: 650-780-7908	FAX: 650-649-1954