Re: [HACKERS] Replication documentation addition

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Replication documentation addition
Date: 2006-11-14 22:40:03
Lists: pgsql-docspgsql-hackers
On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>> We had a long discussion about that and felt that recommending
>>> commercial products or even every open source project was too much.  The
>>> idea was that we should reference a web page that has them all mentioned,
>>> but no one has set one up yet.
>>
>> That makes sense, I just hate to see us say something like "Oracle can do
>> this with RAC but PostgreSQL cannot."
>
> Agreed.  I think we would mention any PostgreSQL solution for this, even
> if it is not open source.  We mention solutions as examples in this part
> of the documentation.
>
> FYI, as far as I know, Continuent's solution is "Query Broadcast Load
> Balancing", not clustering.

I would speculate that your terminology is slightly more accurate than mine.
The do query broadcast, but they also do a bit more with it than that as they
evaluate many of the non deterministic write queries on a particular server
and update the broadcast query so each db gets the same value.

I guess middleware of this sort automatically ends up in the query broadcast
category.  It just sounds awfully similar to the description of cluster for
load balancing:

In clustering, each server can accept write requests, and these write requests
are broadcast from the original server to all other servers before each
transaction commits.

I guess it's kind of a fine line how it gets defined?

Phone: 650-780-7908	FAX: 650-649-1954