Re: Postgres replication solutions

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: Mario Splivalo <mario(dot)splivalo(at)mobart(dot)hr>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres replication solutions
Date: 2006-07-29 19:10:32
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006, Mario Splivalo wrote:

> PIRT restores are not working for me. I did it like this: I issued
> pg_start_backup, then I 'tar cvf - pg_data/ | nc destination 9876'-ed
> the cluster directory, when that was done i did pg_stop_backup, after
> that I deleted pg_xlog directory, and put new WAL files (created after
> backup begun) in directory specified in restore.conf. I started
> postgres, everything went ok. Postgres replayed wal files, and system
> was ready. Then, when new WAL files arrived, I shut down postgres, put
> WAL files in place, restarted postgres, but it complained, and didn't
> replay newly created wal files. It only does so when I 'recreate'
> original filesystem backup.

That is how PITR works. You will always have to redo the base backup before
being able to restore again, can't just start the replay from a previously
restored version. You could however, just replay from your original base
backup if you're keeping those archived WAL files.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Frost Consulting, LLC http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/