Re: Best OS & Configuration for Dual Xeon w/4GB &

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
Cc: Adam Witney <awitney(at)sgul(dot)ac(dot)uk>, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>, pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Best OS & Configuration for Dual Xeon w/4GB &
Date: 2006-03-21 19:22:22
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006, Mark Kirkwood wrote:

> Adam Witney wrote:
>>
>>> decibel(at)noel(dot)2[5:43]~:15>sudo diskinfo -vt /dev/mirror/gm0
>>
>> Can anyone point me to where I can find diskinfo or an equivalent to run on
>> my debian system, I have been googling for the last hour but can't find it!
>> I would like to analyse my own disk setup for comparison
>
> I guess you could use hdparm (-t or -T flags do a simple benchmark).
>
> Though iozone or bonnie++ are probably better.

You might also have a look at lmdd for sequential read/write performance from
the lmbench suite: http://sourceforge.net/projects/lmbench

As numbers from lmdd are seen on this frequently.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Frost Consulting, LLC http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/