Blocking on SQL Execution

From: logan(at)datacurrent(dot)com
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Blocking on SQL Execution
Date: 2005-10-31 23:40:58
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
Hello,

I'm running a web application that needs to run several queries against
several databases to satisfy a single request.  To minimize latency I'd
like to be able to issue "<PreparedStatement Object>.executeQuery()" on
each connection, allow the servers to execute the queries in parallel, and
then only block when I attempt to fetch the first row.

My anecdotal experience with JDBC drivers in general are that they block
when you attempt to execute the query, not when you attempt to retrieve
data.  Is this the case for the Postgres driver?  Does anyone have a feel
for how hard it would be to modify the driver allow queries to be executed
in the background?  Thanks!

Logan Bowers

pgsql-jdbc by date

Next:From: Logan BowersDate: 2005-11-01 00:06:45