Re: cast bytea to/from bit strings

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: cast bytea to/from bit strings
Date: 2006-05-06 06:57:33
Lists: pgsql-patches

Dear Bruce,

> I am not sure this is of general enough usefulness to be in the backend.

Hmm...

I think that the inability to convert nearly binary compatible standard
types one to the other is a postgresql issue. Even if it is not often
useful, the point is completeness and soundness of the type provided by
the core. More over I haven't found any work around with decode/encode and
other casts functions. Bytea is somehow an isolated type, which makes it
not so useful from within the database.

> Can you add it as a pgfoundry project?

I could do it, but ISTM it is really overkill for two stupid 10 lines
functions that deal with internal core types.

--
Fabien.