Re: Multiple logical databases

From: Jeremy Drake <pgsql(at)jdrake(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Multiple logical databases
Date: 2006-02-03 19:12:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, Josh Berkus wrote:

> The feature you proposed is a way to make your idiosyncratic setup easier
> to manage, but doesn't apply to anyone else's problems on this list, so
> you're going to have a hard time drumming up enthusiasm.

I am somewhat reluctant to interject into this discussion, but the
particular "idiosyncratic setup" referred to is not the only one where
this may be useful.

The immediate use I thought of was being able to have what appeared to be
multiple databases on the same server with different locale settings,
which cannot be changed post-initdb. I could see having different
databases in different locales being a useful feature, perhaps in a
wikipedia type setup so that the english, chinese, and arabic wikis could
each provide the correct sort order and other locale-specific properties
while still providing a single logical database "server" for connection
strings. This just being the first example I could think of in which such
a setup could be useful.

--
In the beginning, I was made. I didn't ask to be made. No one consulted
with me or considered my feelings in this matter. But if it brought some